Jose Mier Touches on a Sun Valley Favorite
For me, Frozen Jose Mier, delicious, sweet, frozen desserts are a must. I concoct as many as I can from my Sun Valley, CA freezer. I’ve also written about many, but I haven’t focused on one aspect that I love, yet: frozen pies.
Frozen sweet pies are a symphony of flavors, textures, and nostalgia, offering a delightful treat that captures the essence of homemade desserts without the need for extensive baking and preparation. These pies encompass a wide range of flavors, from classic fruit pies bursting with fresh, sweet fillings to decadent creations featuring chocolate, cream, and unique twists on traditional favorites. In this exploration of the most delicious frozen sweet pies, we will delve into some mouthwatering options and provide you with a recipe for a classic Grasshopper Pie.
- Classic Fruit Pies
- Blueberry Bliss: Blueberries, with their vibrant color and burst of sweet-tart flavor, make for a fantastic frozen pie filling. A classic blueberry pie combines fresh or frozen blueberries with sugar, lemon juice, and a hint of cinnamon, all nestled in a flaky pastry crust. The frozen version preserves the fruit’s freshness and tanginess, delivering a taste of summer all year round.
- Cherry Jubilee: Cherries are another fruit that shines in sweet pies. A frozen cherry pie, made with dark, succulent cherries and a buttery lattice crust, is a celebration of fruity indulgence. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect dessert.
- Creamy Delights
- Chocolate Silk: Chocolate lovers rejoice! A frozen chocolate silk pie is the epitome of creamy, chocolatey decadence. A smooth, mousse-like filling made with dark chocolate and whipped cream sits atop a chocolate cookie crust, creating a dessert that’s equal parts rich and velvety.
- Banana Cream: Bananas, vanilla custard, and whipped cream come together harmoniously in a frozen banana cream pie. This pie captures the essence of banana pudding with its layers of ripe bananas and vanilla custard, all enveloped in a flaky pie crust.
III. Unique and Creative Pies
- Key Lime Pie: Transport your taste buds to the Florida Keys with a zesty and refreshing frozen key lime pie. The tartness of key lime juice, combined with sweetened condensed milk, creates a custard-like filling that’s both tangy and sweet. A graham cracker crust provides the perfect balance of texture.
- Grasshopper Pie: Now, let’s dive into the recipe for a classic Grasshopper Pie, a frozen dessert that combines the irresistible flavors of chocolate and mint.
Recipe for Grasshopper Pie
For the Crust:
- 1 ½ cups chocolate cookie crumbs (about 20 chocolate sandwich cookies)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups marshmallow fluff
- 3 tablespoons crème de menthe liqueur
- 3 tablespoons crème de cacao liqueur
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A few drops of green food coloring (optional)
- Chocolate shavings or curls for garnish
- Prepare the Crust:
- In a food processor, pulse the chocolate cookies until finely crushed.
- Transfer the cookie crumbs to a bowl and mix with melted butter until the crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish to create a crust.
- Place the crust in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the marshmallow fluff, crème de menthe liqueur, crème de cacao liqueur, vanilla extract, and green food coloring (if using). Mix until well combined.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture until fully incorporated. Be careful not to overmix; you want the filling to remain light and fluffy.
- Assemble the Pie:
- Pour the filling into the prepared chocolate cookie crust, spreading it evenly.
- Chill and Garnish:
- Place the Grasshopper Pie in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Before serving, garnish the pie with chocolate shavings or curls for added elegance and flavor.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Slice the frozen Grasshopper Pie and serve it cold. The combination of chocolate and mint flavors will melt in your mouth, making it a delightful treat for any occasion.
Frozen sweet pies offer a delectable journey through a world of flavors, from the timeless classics of blueberry and cherry to the creamy indulgence of chocolate silk and banana cream. These frozen delights capture the essence of homemade desserts without the hassle of baking, making them a convenient and satisfying choice for dessert lovers.
Among these options, Grasshopper Pie stands out as a classic frozen dessert that combines the rich allure of chocolate with the refreshing notes of mint. Its velvety texture and delightful taste make it a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. Whether you choose to explore the classic favorites or get creative with unique and innovative flavors, frozen sweet pies are sure to satisfy your cravings and provide a sweet ending to any meal. So, indulge your taste buds, experiment with different flavors, and savor the joy of frozen sweet pies.